Snow Removal - A quick Look:
- Sidewalks must be shoveled and de-iced within 24 hours of a storm
- As many cars as possible should be moved off the street to allow for thorough snow plowing
- Cars are required to be off the street in the Rolling Hills, Rolling Hills Eastl Deerwood Country Club and Westampton Woods developments
- Primary streets are plowed first
- Please wait to shovel driveways until your street is plowed; snow will be thrown onto your apron during plowing; it takes 2 or 3 passes to plow your street
- Sand/salt will be spread on main intersections, hills and primary roads
Public Works will plow snow when there is two to four inches on the ground. Plowing is done according to a priority list with primary roads being plowed first. Please wait to shovel the ends of your driveways until we have plowed your street. Plows must maintain a minimum speed to throw snow off to the side and will throw snow up on the apron of driveways in passing. It takes 2 or 3 passes to complete a road in heavy snowfalls. Main intersections will then be sanded.
In cases of freezing rain or sleet, or less than four inches of snow, we sand and salt all main intersections and hills. It is not possible to sand all streets.
Each winter storm is different. Factors we consider in deciding when and what to plow and/or sand and salt include how much snow falls, how fast or slow it falls, what time of day it occurs (the two preceding items dictate how badly the snow packs and affects our ability to plow), the temperature when the snow is falling and the temperature anticipated in the days following a storm. We try to provide the best service possible without having budget costs escalate.
Please proceed slowly and carefully on secondary residential streets, we will always try our best to have the primary roads clear so that you are inconvenienced only a short distance.