Our Department is responsible for the enforcement of the New Jersey Uniform Construction Code, which mandates the requirements of permits and inspections. Following is a list of our staff, phone and fax numbers and hours of operation.
Construction Official/Zoning Officer/Building Subcode Official: Gene Blair
Technical Assistant: Marion Karp
Building Inspector: Gene Blair
Electrical & Fire Inspector: Dave Buchhofer
Plumbing Inspector: Paul Buchhofer
Office Phone: (609) 267-1891 ext. 5
Fax: (609) 267-7398
The Construction Office is open Monday thru Thursday from 8:00 AM to 4 PM and Fridays from 8:00 AM to 1:00 PM.
Building Inspections:Requests for inspections may be placed by phone or fax and must be received in our office by 3:00 PM the day before you wish to schedule the inspection.
Building Inspections: Monday thru Friday
Electrical, Fire & Plumbing Inspections: Monday, Wednesday, Friday
Following are some of the services our department can offer:
- We are available to answer any of your questions concerning permit requirements.
- Assist you completing applications for a construction permit.
- Provide plan review to insure code compliance.
- Answer any questions you may have concerning the required inspections.
- Provide Code interpretations.
- Conduct inspections during the course of your project.
- Issue Certificates of Occupancy or Approval after all of the required inspections are completed and prior to use and/or occupancy.
Construction Permits:Construction Permits must be obtained before any of the work is started; failure to do so could result in fines and violations. Following is just a quick list of some of the projects which will require a construction permit:
Following are some examples of "ordinary repairs" or projects that may be done without obtaining a permit or inspection:
- Construction of a new dwelling or additions
- Interior or exterior alterations (except those listed as ordinary repairs)
- Re-roof and Siding (except those listed as ordinary repairs)
- Swimming pools and equipment including fences which serve as a barrier for the pool
- Demolition of any structure or interior demolition prior to any construction work
- Sheds over 100 square feet
- Fuel tank removal and replacements
- Heater and water heater replacements
- Lawn sprinkler systems
Please feel free to contact us if you are planning or before you start any project so that we can discuss the code requirements or any questions you may have.
- Exterior and interior painting and wallpaper
- Repair or replacement of any interior finish less than 25% of the wall area in any given room
- Repair or replacement of less than 25% of any exterior siding
- Repair or replacement of kitchen cabinets (excluding additional electrical and plumbing work which will require permit and inspections)
- Repair of any exterior porch which does not involve replacement of structural members
- Construction or placement of sheds up to 100 square feet